- 10 February 2018 Saturday. Matakana Farmer’s Market 9:30 am to 12:30 pm. Free. The market is on from 8am to 1pm.
- 10 March 2018 Saturday. Matakana Farmer’s Market 9:30 am to 12:30 pm. Free. The market is on from 8am to 1pm.
- 16-18 March 2018 Great Alpine Pick. Old Priory, Beechworth, Victoria, Australia.
- 20 April 2018 Friday. Whangarei Folk Club. 595 Kamo Road. 7:30pm.
- 7 May 2018 Sunday. Barebones Acoustic Folk Club, Auckland Irish Society, Fowlds Park, Auckland. 3pm. First half floor singers.
- 26 May 2018 Saturday. Kauaeranga Hall, Thames
“The best newgrass band in New Zealand … They always have an interesting and high quality show – doing songs no one else in the bluegrass world does. Never get bored at a Pipi Pickers show.” –
Mike Kear, Music from Foggy Hollow
The Pipis play a blend of contemporary and traditional hard driving bluegrass with solid instrumental chops and an engaging performance style that puts a smile on everyone’s face and infuses even the most dreadful of murder ballads with a sense of joy and energy. The Pipis bring a love of the genre and a desire to share that love with as many people as possible. Nat Torkington is New Zealand’s best 5-string Scruggs-style banjo player, and is ably supported by his father Barry on guitar, Garry Bigwood on mandolin, and wife Jenine Abarbanel on double bass and vocals.
The Pipis have become favourites at New Zealand and Australian music festivals through their vibrant performances, open and inclusive jam sessions, and slow jam workshops.
We are members of, and supporters of, the Australasian Bluegrass and Old Time Music Association. And you should be too.