Coming in 2019! New Zealand’s Own Bluegrass Festival!
Mark your calendars for February 1-3 for the inaugural Kiwigrass! We are bringing together top acts from the US and Australia to play all the bluegrass for you. Scheduled for the week after the Auckland Folk Festival, make a full musical vacation of it. Follow www.kiwigrass.nz for updates and information.
- 7 December 2018, Friday Katikati Folk Club, Katikati.
- 16 December 2018, Sunday. Leigh Sawmill Cafe. 5pm-7pm. Koha.
- 22 December 2018 Saturday. Matakana Farmer’s Market 9:30 am to 12:30 pm. Free. The market is on from 8am to 1pm.
- 19 January 2019 Saturday. Matakana Farmer’s Market 9:30 am to 12:30 pm. Free. The market is on from 8am to 1pm.
- 1-3 February 2019. KIWIGRASS. New Zealand’s Own Bluegrass Festival! At last! Buy Tickets.
“The best newgrass band in New Zealand … They always have an interesting and high quality show – doing songs no one else in the bluegrass world does. Never get bored at a Pipi Pickers show.” –
Mike Kear, Music from Foggy Hollow
The Pipis play a blend of contemporary and traditional hard driving bluegrass with solid instrumental chops and an engaging performance style that puts a smile on everyone’s face and infuses even the most dreadful of murder ballads with a sense of joy and energy. The Pipis bring a love of the genre and a desire to share that love with as many people as possible. Nat Torkington is New Zealand’s best 5-string Scruggs-style banjo player, and is ably supported by his father Barry on guitar, Garry Bigwood on mandolin, and wife Jenine Abarbanel on double bass and vocals.
The Pipis have become favourites at New Zealand and Australian music festivals through their vibrant performances, open and inclusive jam sessions, and slow jam workshops.
We are members of, and supporters of, the Australasian Bluegrass and Old Time Music Association. And you should be too.